Monday, October 11, 2010

"once upon a time, or in search or prince charming..."

Yes, I've finally started.

I've been meaning to create this blog ever since I finished YFF this year. For more than a month leading up to the youth conference, my group of councilors and I wrote about our SayGoBeDo moments - times when you have this little thought to do something for someone and then actually act on it and see lives change - and it inspired me so much that I decided to do my own. Life gets crazy, though, and my travels and other plans kept me from it until this morning when I write from my friend's desk in Cedar City. Sometimes you just have to act through the circumstances, rather than waiting for them to fix themselves.

The past couple of months have been some of the most challenging, and the most rewarding, of any I have yet been privileged to live. I am surrounded with the best people I could honestly ever imagine, doing a work that is worth a lifetime. Just this morning I was offered an opportunity to speak in Arizona, somewhere I have been excited to visit for a couple of years now. My students, both private and those I meet at speaking events, are truly geniuses and I love nothing better than to see the light come into their face and voice as they find out who they truly are and begin to act on it. I have seen examples of heroism, dedication, love and service from 13 and 14 year -olds that would change the mind of even the hardest critic of today's teenagers. Although my occupation will change in the near future, these young people will always be a part of my life.

I am still in search of prince charming. That is certainly not for lack of opportunity, for from the blind date on Friday to the new best friends on Saturday and Sunday, I am increasingly amazed with the quality and number of wonderful men there are in my life. Rather, this summer I again got an unmistakable confirmation of the path it would be best for me to take my life, and I choose to wait even a little longer. He's worth it, I know.

2 comments:

  1. Emily! This is great! What a wonderful idea- I really need to be better at recording those little moments so that I'll remember them later! Anyway, I thought I'd let you know that I have a blog too, mostly a "story of my life" style, but if you want to check it out, it's natleeandlife.blogspot.com. Love you and I hope all is well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are so awesome! Thanks for who you are and that you just go and do. What an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete